The farm is a fantastic facility which enhances student learning at Oathall in many different ways. We are able to offer recognised qualifications in this field but different subject areas use it in a practical way to aid learning including art, maths, English, science and even ICT.
How is the farm used to learn?
- Our art students use the animals for still life drawing
- Year 7 students get to grips with statistics in maths lessons by tracking the growth of lambs in the summer months
- Science students undertake many visits to the Farm to understand animal nutrition, the structure of plants, microbes and ecosystems amongst other things
- ICT students in Year 7 take digital photos on the farm and assemble their own digital guide to it
- The farm is used in the study of a number of English texts and as a source of inspiration for poetry
- Business studies students use the farm and shop as a case study for enterprising activities
- The farm is also used in the delivery of our land based and horticultural qualifications.
Other schools and community groups visit Oathall Farm and gain a lot from the experience.
You can see some photos of our farm here via the school’s Flickr pages